Search The web

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Of queues and clean vegetable market

I have just returned from Phuentsholing and while there, I had gone to BNB to get some cash from my account. My token number was 81, and the customer served at that moment was 66, so I ventured to see a friend at the other bank at the opposite side of the road. When I returned from BOB after 20 minutes, the customer number they were calling in was 67. From then on, it took another two hours for me to get my cheque encashed. While waiting, I got talking to a another customer who said that if I knew someobody in the bank, I could get the services faster. I said that the token system was introduced to ensure that there were no shortcuts to availing the services. He said that those known to the customer service personnel got the services ahead of others. I don't know if his accusation was true, but BNB management should certainly get to the root of this delay problems at their counters and ensure that its customer service is improved. I mean if they do not want these customers to move to Druk PNB foraging into the market next month.

This afternoon, I took two of my friends from Bangladesh to our centennial farmer's market in Thimphu. Surprisingly, the place was very clean and there were women in uniforms moping up the place every now and then along the vegetable spot lanes. My Bangladeshi friends were visibly pleased to see the orderliness and cleanliness of the place and commended me for it. I felt proud to be a Bhutanese. We are doing something right, and we should keep this spirit going!

No comments:

Post a Comment